Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hello and Welcome!


Growing up on the Prairies, I have always had a love of plants and growing things.  When we moved to BC in the fall of 2008 we found a gardener's paradise. 

 Besides a huge vegetable garden, 


we have a small orchard of about 35 fruit trees,


 numerous varieties of grapes and berries,


 a herb garden

and a flock of chickens. 


I have always enjoyed baking and cooking but now have many new and exciting recipes and techniques to try - such as juicing, jamming, jogging. - Oh well 2 out of 3 ain't bad  :) 

I will be sharing thoughts, tips and photos on gardening, raising chickens, preserving and using our bountiful harvests, and other interesting topics that just scream to be shared. ;)

So hello and welcome to old friends and new. 

8 comments:

  1. Wow Joan - that looks absolutely wonderful! I totally envy you and your beautiful garden. I would love to see more pictures.

    Linda Gobert

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog, Jojo. Looks like you are off to a great start and have lots of interesting things going on to talk about. I'll check back often. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful garden you have! A few years ago I was asked if I knew who Joan was, but didn't have a clue! My garden and I live to the left of your top photo lol What a coincidence! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you up the hill? This year, some parts of my yard look better than that pic and some parts look worse. No chickens :( except Lulu. I miss them but until we can build a better predator-proof run, I won't have any.

      Delete
  4. No, we're on Hollywood, closest side to you. My friend had been looking for organic veggies and saw your sign at the CS. We used to raise chickens & turkeys but haven't for years. I'm in the mood to get chickens again, but we now have too much wildlife after the 2004 fire above us. Lulu looks like a very spoiled chicken! Makes me want them even more! My yard is very thirsty! Can't seem to catch up with the restrictions as they are. Will have to do a drive-by and get a closer look at your garden! It looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joan. I just found this post via a link. What an awesome place you have. What a dream to buy a place and have the old fruit trees, gardens and herbs. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We love it. Lots of work but the satisfying kind. We have many ideas and changes we want to do over time - some raised beds, new varities of fruit, a greenhouse, etc. etc. All thry take is time and money. Time we have, money not so much but . . .

      Delete
  6. OH I am in heaven just viewing your lovely property!!!! I am trying my hand at an edible yard at my little urban row house full of children... :)

    ReplyDelete