Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sourdough Sharing - Crepes

This month's sourdough challenge was crepes.  The recipe was so easy-peasy and tasty.  My challenge came when it was time to make the crepes as I don't own a correct size frying pan.

Ingredients
1 c sourdough
2 eggs
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 to 1/2 c milk

Beat all ingredients together, adding enough milk to have a thin batter.  Heat the frying pan, add some butter and pour in 1/4 c of batter. 


Now comes the tricky part.  You are to use a pan between 8" and 10" in diameter.  I only have cast irons frying pans - one 6" and the other 12".  I used the 12" because the 6" was too small but found it too heavy to swirl the pan around so I ended up with flower shapes instead of nice round, thin crepes.


You are to cook the crepe for a minute or two, then flip and cook about 30 seconds or so on the other side.  Remove crepe to plate and continue making until finished the batter.  This makes about 8 to 10 crepes.


I then tried to pour the batter round but ended up with a thick crepe (or thin pancake).


I found this recipe and thought I sounded yummy and easy.  Spread Nutella on crepe and add a banana.  I cut the banana lengthwise so each crepe was rolled around 1/2 banana.


I also spread some with peanut butter and rolled them around the banana as well.  Both were very tasty and would be enjoyed by kids and adults alike.


I found the crepe very tasty and made them a second time as pancakes without trying to swirl my heavy pan.  They were very tasty with butter and syrup. 
 
I will try the crepes again when I have the right size pan.  They were tasty and easy to whip up with so few ingredients.
 
You can make your crepes into sweet dessert crepes or savory crepes as a main course depending on your filling.
 
Check out the links below for more delicious crepe ideas.  Enjoy!  ;)
 
 

 

16 comments:

  1. Yum, Nutella and banana sounds so good! I wonder if you could use the back of a spoon or something to spread out the batter in the pan, rather than swirling the pan - you know how they use that little wooden spreader in a crêperie to spread out the batter? The cast iron certainly gave you a lovely colour on the crêpes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been to a creperie so didn't know about the spreader. They were tasty thouhg!

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of "flower crepes" with Nutella and bananas, but a 12" cast iron pan sounds like a heavy challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was heavy but I wasn't looking for perfection. My "flowers" tasted great!

      Delete
  3. Great job on your crepes! I only have cast iron pans, too, so I actually borrowed my neighbor's non-stick skillet to make these in, LOL! I knew the cast iron would be too heavy for me to twirl. lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I'll be borrowing one too!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was "A hunk-a-hunk of burning love" ;)

      Delete
  5. Great Job! The Elvis Crepe...is right:) Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fillings you chose - you can't go wrong with banana and any kind of spread - I used banana and Biscoff! :) Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one tempting filling!
    I need to try the recipe as a pancake next time!
    Great job on this challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. No matter the shape, crepes are always delicious!

    ReplyDelete