Monday, October 25, 2010

Carrot Rolls

I have a recipe for Sweet Potato Rolls that is very good.  I found the recipe at this link:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=165770

My sweet potatoes did not produce this year but I have an abundance of carrots.  Carrots and sweet potatoes do taste fairly similar so I decided to try Carrot Rolls instead. 

I mix my dough in my Cuisinart but you can mix and knead it by hand if you want.

List of ingredients:

1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/2 c. warm water

2/3 c. shortening, butter or margarine
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar
2 c. mashed carrots
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 c. scalded milk
2 eggs

7 to 8 c. flour

Start by peeling and slicing up enough carrots to make 2 cups when mashed.  Cook carrots in very little water until soft.


Mash the carrots and set aside.  Meanwhile, scald 1 cup of milk and let it cool.  In 1/2 cup warm water stir 1 tsp sugar.  Then add 1 1/2 tsp yeast and set aside.


Mix 2/3 cup of margarine, butter or shortening with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp salt.  Beat in 2 eggs, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and the 2 cups mashed carrots.


Add both the cooled milk and yeast mixture to the bowl and mix well.


Next add about 7 cups of flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl while mixing.


Add the rest of the flour (1 cup - more or less), a few spoons at a time until dough pulls away from the bowl.   


Continue kneading 3 to 5 minutes, adding more flour a sprinkle at a time if the dough starts to stick to the bowl.  The dough should be soft and pliable but not sticky.


Form into a ball and place in a greased bowl and lightly grease the top of the dough. 


Cover and let rise in a warm spot for several hours until double in size.  I let mine rise in the oven with the light on - it stays warm and is out of drafts.


Knead the dough and cut in half.


Cut each piece in quarters and then quarters again.  This will give you 32 large rolls.  Form each piece of dough into a ball and place on a greased baking sheet.  


Brush with butter and cover and let rise for about 1 1/2 hours. 


Preheat oven to 375F.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned.



I like to brush my buns with butter when they come out of the oven so they are shiny and stay soft.


Remove from pan to cool. 


I found these buns every bit as tasty as the sweet potato ones.  They are a lovely golden colour with a slightly sweet taste. 

Enjoy!  :)

1 comment:

  1. I am totally drooling right now! Especially the last pic where they are buttered. LOL Yay for carbs!

    ReplyDelete