Monday, May 2, 2011

Cherry and Plum Trees in Bloom

  
by AE Housman (1859 - 1936)

Loveliest of trees, the cherry now


Is hung with bloom along the bough,


And stands about the woodland ride


Wearing white for Eastertide.


Now, of my three score years and ten,


Twenty will not come again,


And take from seventy springs a score,


It only leaves me fifty more.


And since to look at things in bloom,


Fifty springs are little room,


About the woodlands I will go,


To see the cherry hung with snow.



All photos taken in BC, Canada.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely poem, however it made me a little sad...or maybe just wistful. Those blooms surely don't last long, so we better enjoy them while we can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Informative! This blog is great source of information which is very useful for me. Thank you very much for sharing this!



    Garden Designer Norfolk & Timber Decking Suffolk

    ReplyDelete