Monday, March 7, 2011

Lemon Squares Part 3

I'm coming to the end of my lemon square marathon - two more squares today and the container is full to the brim.  My dad will be eating lemon squares until his next birthday! ;)

The first squares come from Kitchen Treasures by PrairieView Press.  The filling is very much like lemon pie filling.


Lemon Bars
Ingredients
Crust
10 double salted crackers (or 20 unsalted singles like I used)
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c melted butter or marg
1 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 c coconut OR 1/2 c coconut and 1/2 c oatmeal (I used the latter)
Filling
1 c sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 eggs
1 c water
1/2 c lemon juice
1/4 c butter or marg

Crust
Crush crackers and blend with brown sugar and melted butter.  Add rest of crust ingredients and blend until crumbly.  Spread 3/4 of this in a 9x9 pan.
Filling
Blend sugar and cornstarch in a pan on the stove.  Add in beaten eggs, water and lemon juice.  Cook until thick stirring constantly so lumps don't form.  Remove from heat and add butter.


Pour into pan and top with remaining crumbs. 


Bake for 25 minutes at 350F.  Makes 25 squares.


These squares are very smooth and tangy.  They remind me of lemon pie without the meringue.  I think my dad will like them alot.



==========================================================

I think I saved the best until last.  This square is light and fluffy and the graham crust adds to the overall flavour.  It melts in my mouth.


I got this recipe from Company's Coming - 150 Delicious Squares by Jean Pare.

Lemon Slice
Ingredients
Crust
1 c graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c butter or marg
1/2 c sugar
Filling
3/4 c sugar
1/3 c flour
1 Tbsp water
3 eggs, separated
1 lemon - juice and rind
handful of graham cracker crumbs

Crust
Crumble together crust ingredients and press into 9x9 pan.  Bake for 10 minutes at 350F.
Filling
In a double boiler combine sugar, flour, water, egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon rind.  Cook and stir until thick.  (You can use a heavy pot, as I did, just stir constantly so the mixture doesn't stick or forms lumps.)


Beat egg whites until stiff and then fold into hot thickened mixture. 


Spread over crust.


Sprinkle with rest of graham crumbs and bake at 350F for 3 minutes or until set.


Cut into squares when cool.  I got 25 squares but the original recipe said to cut into 36 squares.



Now its up to you to decide which one to try first.  Enjoy!  ;)

4 comments:

  1. It doesn't look weird. Or do you mean it looks weird because they have a crumbly layer on top, which they normally don't have when you buy them from a store?
    I think the Lemon Slice one looks the best, I have that recipe marked off in my book to make - I like that you made it so I know what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley. It was one of my favourites too. I also like having a pic to see what the final result should look like.

      Delete