Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pear Cake


We had an over-abundance of pears last fall, and while they did keep, I can only eat so many.  So I hunted up some recipes on the internet.  I found a Pear Cake here  http://southernfood.about.com/od/pears/r/bl50221b.htm  that looked interesting.

Ingredients
4 c chopped pears
3 c flour
1 c chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 c oil
2 eggs, beaten
2 c sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Grease and flour either a 9" x 13" pan or tube pan.  I used the 9x13 pan.
Peel and core pears.  I kept them in water with a bit of lemon juice to prevent them from browning.


Chop pears to measure 4 cups.   I chopped them in my food processor.


 Mix pears with sugar and nuts and let sit for 1 hour.  



Stir frequently. 


Add dry ingredients to the pears; stir to combine.  



Add oil, vanilla, and beaten eggs.


Stir to blend.


Pour batter into a generously greased and floured pan.


Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes for the tube pan or 45 to 55 minutes for the 9x13 pan.  Test with a toothpick in the center to be sure.


The cake was very moist.  We ate it without icing but it probably would taste great with cream cheese icing (although I think, anything would taste great with cream cheese icing).


Pears don't have a strong taste but it had what I am calling a "fresh" taste.  Enjoy!  ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment