Monday, May 14, 2012

Potato Frittata

I am not fond of quiche because I find it too rich with the eggs, the filling and crust.  I decided to try a frittata which seemed to me to be a crustless quiche.  I combined the two recipes below and made some of my own changes.

http://www.cheapcooking.com/Recipes/eggs/frittata.html   http://allrecipes.com/recipe/potato-and-cheese-frittata/

Ingredients
2 Tbsp oil
1 - 2 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
4 eggs
1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
paprika
chili powder
salt
pepper


Heat oven to 400°F.

If potatoes are large, half or quarter them and then sliced them into thin slices.  Chop onion.


Brown potatoes and onions in oil.  I used a cast iron pan so I could use it in the oven.


Turn occasionally until potatoes are nicely browned.


Beat eggs with salt, pepper and spices.  I used a pinch of chili powder and some paprika.


Add eggs to pan with potatoes and onions.


Place pan in oven and cook for about 10 minutes or until eggs are firm.


Sprinkle on cheese (I used both cheddar and Parmesan) and return to oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.


Remove from oven.


Cut into quarters and serve.  It was very tasty.  We tried it with salsa, ketchup and also sour cream.  All three condiments work well with the frittata.


I would make it again and try other additions to the potato and onion.  Bacon chopped and fried would a nice addition as would mushrooms or peppers.  It would also work at lunch with a salad or a side of refried beans.  Experiment and enjoy!  ;)

1 comment:

  1. I just made this for dinner and I LOVE it. I always have eggs, onions and potatoes on hand. Super easy and my husband gave it a thumbs up too. I did fry up some bacon and sprinkled it on top after baking. This one's a keeper for me.

    ReplyDelete