Thursday, May 3, 2012

Turkey, Black Bean and Corn Casserole

I saw the following recipe in a Campbell's Soup email and it gave me an idea to work with.  The link to the original recipe is here.  Cooking with Campbell's - Black Bean Corn Turkey Chili


Ingredients
1 c dried black beans
1 1/2 c chopped turkey
1 c chopped onion  
1 c shredded carrot
1/2 c chopped celery
1 c kernel corn
1 c chicken broth
1/2 c salsa
1 tbsp chili powder
1 can tomato soup
3/4 c grated mozzarella cheese
3/4 c grated cheddar cheese
 
I used leftover turkey breast instead of the turkey hamburger in the original recipe so that changed everything.
 

I sauteed the onion and celery before mixing it with the grated carrots and frozen corn.


I used my own dried black beans instead of canned.  I washed and sorted the beans and then soaked them overnight.  I drained them and added them to the turkey - veggie mix.


I stirred in the chicken broth and chili powder.


Next I added the condensed soup and the salsa. 


I poured it into a greased casserole dish and baked it for an hour at 350°F.


Remove from oven and sprinkle on the cheese.  First mozzarella.


Then the cheddar. 


Pop back into the oven for 10 minutes for the cheese to melt and start to bubble.

 

Serve with a side salad and enjoy!


    I found the casserole very tasty but slightly runny.  I had thought I might leave out the broth next time but it was great as leftovers this way.  Often casseroles get too dry when reheated, but this one actually improved as the flavours melded together. 

    You could also add in green peppers.  I'm also toying with the idea of adding rice - I think I would precook the rice first though.  It was a great way to use up leftover turkey and I will be making it again. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment