Here's what I came up with:
2 c vinegar
3 c water
1/4 c pickling salt
1/4 tsp pickling spice per jar
1/4 tsp mustard seed per jar
scant 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Wash and sterilize four pint jars and lids.
I used kitchen shears to cut the scapes. I cut them at the first leaf.
I also cut and washed some dill - both leaves and flowers.
I cut off the seed pod and cut the tough part of the scape off as well. One recipe said this is similar to trimming asparagus but since I don't grow any, that didn't help. I found you could feel where the scape was softer and where is was woody just by squeezing the scape. The woody part was also harder to cut.
I used 1/4 tsp each of whole pickling spices and mustard seed in each jar.
I also used almost 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes in each jar.
I added dill leaves and flowers to each jar. If you don't have any fresh, you could probably use dried dill weed and dill seed instead.
I cut the scapes into pieces around 3 to 4 " long. I included the curly parts as well.
I divided the scapes into the four jars.
Boil together water, vinegar and salt. When salt is dissolved and mixture is boiling, ladle the brine into the jars. Clean top of jars and tighten the lids.
Boil in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool. Brine and spices should work for several weeks to a month before trying the pickles.
I made these mainly for my parents because they always fight for the garlic in the pickle jar. I hope they will like them. ;)