Monday, June 18, 2012

Focaccia Bread

I decided to try my hand at Focaccia Bread.  I found three recipes that I combined to make my own. http://annastable.blogspot.ca/2011/01/no-knead-tomato-focaccia.html   &
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/focaccia_bread_with_rosemary/   &  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/focaccia-bread/


Ingredients
1/2 c warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp yeast

1 1/2 c water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
4+ c flour
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch pepper

1 c mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 c parmesan cheese, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
sundried tomatoes
olive oil


I had never used sundried tomatoes in my cooking.  So last year I decided to dehydrate some Roma tomatoes.  After they were dried, I froze them.


For this recipe, I decided to try two methods of using the tomatoes.  The first was to rehydrate in water.


The second was to rehydrate in olive oil.


I also minced some garlic for the recipe as well.


To make the dough:  Stir the sugar into the warm water and add yeast.  Set aside for about 10 minutes so yeast can start to work.  Mix the spices into a couple cups flour.  Mix the water, oil, salt and yeast and add spiced flour.  Different spices can be used - some use rosemary, etc. but I am partial to oregano.  Add rest of flour, mixing until you have a soft dough.  Knead until smooth and elastic.  Grease bowl with olive oil and roll dough around until coated.  Cover and let rise until double.



Grate mozzarella cheese and set aside.


Divide dough in half and press each onto a well oiled cookie sheet.  Press out dough until it fills the sheet.  Set aside to rise for about 30 minutes.


Use your thumb or finger to press indentations into the dough in rows.


Drizzle on some olive oil making sure it fills many of the indentations.


For one pan, I sprinkled mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.


For the second, I sprinkled on the minced garlic.


Then I added the two types of tomatoes to see which were better.  On the left are the oil ones and on the right the ones soaked in water.  Then sprinkle with the two cheeses.


Bake at 425°F for about 15 minutes or until nicely browned.  This was the cheese focaccia.


This was the garlic sundried tomato one.  Again the oil tomatoes are on the left and the water rehydrated ones on the right.


Remove them from the pan.  Cut into squares and enjoy.


The cheesy focaccia was very tasty with the herbs and cheese combination.  It was good the second, even cold.  The tomato one would have been a great addition to a spaghetti dinner.  The water dehydrated tomatoes turned out to be similar in taste to using fresh tomatoes.  The ones I soaked in oil tasted better but burned more easily because they weren't so moist.  So I have a dilemma next time I try it in how to do the tomatoes. 


1 comment:

  1. I just love this recipe and the combination of herbs and cheese.The way of using tomato is a unique one.

    ReplyDelete